Learning Challenge: the importance of sleep

These are notes over An Underappreciated Key to College Success: Sleep by Jane E. Brody. I did not know that sleep outranked drug and alcohol use as an indicator of academic success. I definitely would not have guessed that. I did know, from personal experience, that brain function starts to decline at a certain time at night. However; this article gave specifics about this. I also thought it was interesting that this was especially true for males. Perhaps their socialization prioritizes self-care less, leading to poor sleep habits. The post also mentioned that one in twenty genes that are governed by circadian rhythms are knocked out when you don't sleep, preventing you from performing your best cognitively and physically throughout the day.
Sleep on Pexels

Comments

  1. Hey Jessica! It was cool to read your thoughts over the learning challenge about sleep! I too did not know that it outranked drug and alcohol use as an indicator of success or that it was more prevalent in males. I do love to sleep, and I feel much better when I do sleep more, so hopefully, this will serve as a reminder to sleep more.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts