Week 9 Story: Her

The Maharani, Rani, sat watching Uttara 
In the midst of her play.
He, Abhimanyn, is almost here 
Said a voice from the depths of 
Her mind.
She remembered marrying her will
to the Maharajah, or Jah.
She remembered dreaming of the forest,
Of running away.
She remembered her mother 
Standing too far away.
She remembered her mother's face
On her wedding day.
She remembered her saying,
"He is your true love."
She remembered trusting her mother enough
To believe it.
She remembered how she never saw what followed 
Coming 
Because they abandoned her,
Because they didn't bother to educate her.
But mostly she remembered her mother
And how she should have understood her
Before now,
Before she sat here looking at Uttara.
This crippling feeling of weakness
Is not mine;
It is theirs, 
Yet I am the one who has to hold it.
So, Rani let it go
"He's here!" said Jah
"Uttara's home awaits." 
"Uttara is already home," said Rani.
And, thus, Rani wandered off
The worn path of submission 
Beaten into the ground 
Over many years.  
Jah's confusion was his privilege 
Because nobody had asked him to understand 
How it feels under a woman's skin. 
So Rani sat through her husbands' violent energy,
The burden placed on men.
But, Mother and daughter kept playing together.
"Why do you keep me here?" asked Uttara.
"To let you be not just a woman but also a human," replied her mother. 
Rani lit herself up
So Uttara could see inside.  
They played together
So Uttara would learn her own worth
By digging through her mother's roots
And finding that they  
Stretched to the Earth's very core. 
Mother and Child by George Romney on Wikimedia Commons

Author's note: This story is based on Nine Ideal Indian Women: Savitri, Damayanti, Sati, and Uttara by Sunity Devee.  I chose these stories because I thought they would describe the women in the epics and give them some background. However, most of the women's stories almost completely centred around a man. For me, the most shocking story was about how Uttara, a child, married a man. She played with toys while he went to fight battles, which is, in my opinion, about as messed up as a home dynamic can get. So, I chose to rewrite this story from the perspective of Uttara's mother. I wanted this to be a story of them standing their ground and deciding to get to know one another in spite of what the rest of the world says they should do as women. The Maharajah and Maharani are Uttara's parents. Abhimanyn is the man Uttara is supposed to marry. 




Comments

  1. Wow, Jessica! The message behind this story was beautiful. I loved how it was written as well. I think you did a great job capturing Rani's thoughts. You could really see the progression from the beginning of the story to end. It was like Rani was finally able to see the world that was stolen away from her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jessica,

    I really like how you recreated the story and showed Uttara’s perspective. I think that totally changes up the mind set of other people while reading. I agree with you that a man marrying a child is just insane. I like how you compare him going to battle while she is playing with toys. That really shows the age difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very poetic! The only critique I would have is to express the source of Uttar's feelings. Then again, maybe that would be easier if I had read the original lol. Your imagery was perfect though. Very enriching. That seems to be your strong point, especially since you went with the poetic style. I would play to that strength some more. Nice job overall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jessica, I think you did a great job of setting the tone of this story, and you do a great job of taking advantage of the repetition aspect to really give us a view into Uttara's decision and opinion process. I really enjoyed how the rhythm of the story worked and I hope to continue to read your stories in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jessica!
    I thought your story was pretty intense! I thought it was interesting how you changed the story to benefit the characters. Instead of just seeing a story and writing about it, you chose to rewrite a story to what you thought was how it should go. Nice job summing up the original story in your author's note and why you changed it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts