Reading Notes: The Divine Archer Part B

Today, I continued reading The Divine Archer by F. J. Gould.  Sleeping in a cave, like Rama and Lakshman do, adds good elements of adventure to the story. Relying on nature for shelter makes it feel like Rama and Lakshman are doing something special. I could use this in my story to give my characters a sense of adventure.

I wonder why the army is composed of monkeys? I actually really like that animals are used as core characters because this supports the concept that animals are important too. They are also beings with feelings. Making animal characters in my stories would also support this idea.

I think Rama's greatest weakness, his Achilles heel, is that he values his pride in having a pristine and faithful wife over the woman herself. Rama's love is not truly selfless; it is conditional. He has fought and worked for a love that is not true. Rama, in this situation, was the one undergoing a test, which he failed.

Valmiki raising the two sons of Rama in the simple life was a good plot point I would like to emphasize. The emphasis on learning and simplicity of the material side of life is linked by the author to their good character.

The introduction of the sons to Rama before he knows they are his children adds a dramatic suspense that captivates the reader. Rama assumes Sita is hiding in sorrow because he dropped her. It would be good to show Sita living her life to fullest in spite of this setback.

Sita's love is actually unconditional. She continued to love Rama all that time after he treated her so poorly. I actually think the story ended really well. Mother Earth, the character that was mentioned at the end, was a being who brought peace to Sita in her sorrow. This would be a great character to really emphasize in my stories as a symbol of peace.

I also think accurately showing the casual implications of Rama's behavior by have Sita disappear and leave him alone is a good way to convey the lesson of the story to the readers.
Mossy Throne on Geograph   

Comments

Popular Posts